When going for a hike, the essential gear to have is a backpack. Kindly choose your bag wisely so that you have a comfortable hike. A wrong choice may result in frustrations and even hinder you from carrying the necessary gear. Therefore, there are some guidelines to consider when purchasing a backpack to ensure you get it right.
Things to Consider When Buying a Backpacking Backpack
- Weight- Consider having a light backpack but of good quality so that you can reduce the overall weight of all your equipment.
- Price – quality backpacks usually cost more, so for a good investment, go for a bag between 200$ and 500$
- Frame- for a lighter backpack, check one with a less bulky frame, modern materials, and the best design. These backpacks carry a load of up to 35 lb.
- Materials– lighter backpacks have cuben fiber material, but they are expensive. But heavy ones have ripstop nylon, and they are cheaper. However, the two materials are durable and worth the investment.
- Volume – with experience, you can know what size of pack you want. But for beginners, around 40lt is fit for few days but more if you are going to hike longer and carry bulky gear.
- Design – choose the design that’s is comfortable for you, like a pack with compartments, zippers, straps, etc. But, of course, you can still go for a simple bag.
- Comfort – when choosing a pack, try one with a load to check if you are comfortable carrying it. Ensure it has adjustable straps to bring the load closer to your back and a comfortable hip belt.
How Much Does a Good Hiking Backpack Cost?
The price of a backpack depends mostly on size, fabric, and brand. Most backpacks cost between $100 – $300. The medium-sized brands cost around $200. For a good investment, any pack worth $300 and above has all the good features that a traveler may need, like a whistle, special padding, many belts, etc.
What Size of a Hiking Bag Do I Need when Backpacking?
The size of a pack depends on the gear you want to carry and how comfortable it will be for you. That is, the bag should be proportional to your body. If you choose a bag that is too small or too big, you will lose weight balance, which will cause back pain and make you even topple. The best stores do the stuffing for your backpack equal to 30 pounds, and then you try how it feels on your back.
Best Backpacks in the Market
The following bags are comfortable for your hike and also budget-friendly. Choose the design that is best for you.
Loowoko Hiking Backpack 50L
The pack is fir for both beginners and veterans in hiking. It has a large volume for you to pack all the items you need for a successful outdoor excursion. In addition, the backpack contains a rip-stop waterproof cover that prevents water from seeping into your items.
The s-shaped shoulder straps are breathable to relieve you from any stress on your shoulders. It also has chest and hip belts to help distribute the pack’s weight. Again, the bag features extras storage pockets for more effortless organization of your load.
- Polyester lining
- Rain cover included
- Eight adjustable straps
- It fits both men and women
- Comfortable pack due to breathable mesh shoulder
- The bag has a breathable and padded back panel and straps shoulders
- It’s durable
- It’s a multipurpose pack
- Has separate shoe storage compartment
- Additional belts for gear attachments
- Has from water-resistant materials
- When fully loaded, weight distribution is poor.
- Straps buckles are of poor quality
Osprey Atmos AG 65 Men’s Backpack
Osprey is a fantastic backpack for men and actually among the best in the market. The bag has a breathable suspension and other user-friendly features that hikers adore. It’s comfortable on the back and a well-organized package best for men. In addition, it has an innovative anti-gravity mechanism that makes heavy loads easier to carry while maintaining comfort.
For organization, the bag also has extra side pocket attachments and gear-specific compartments. With the adjustable straps, one can change the fit of the pack accordingly. The bag has durable materials that protect it from any rips and tears. Additionally, there are sturdy pads at the bottom of the bag which protect its frame.
- Adjustable straps
- Anti-gravity mechanism
- Stretchable mesh pocket on the front
- Internal hydration reservoir of 3l
- It’s comfortable
- Well-organized with extra pockets and compartments
- Fully adjustable straps for a good fit
- Durable materials
- It has an anti-gravity mechanism
- Large for short strips
- Not fit for female
- It lacks a rain cover
Venture Pal 40L Backpack
The venture is a good option pack if you want to travel light on day trips. The bag allows you to carry, pack and organize your items well to concentrate on your trip activities instead of searching for your things. The bag is also secure, no need to worry about your water bottles or other items falling out of the compartments.
The bag has high-quality water and tear-resistant nylon material for best performance. The bottom is double-layered for extra strength and convenient if you carry more items. The bag comes in different colors to choose from, like black, red, green, purple, etc.
- Multiple compartments
- Durable material
- Compact and comfortable
- It’s waterproof, thus protecting your items from rain
- Had durable materials
- Best for light to moderate travel
- Has many compartments for better packing and organization
- Zippers quickly catch on the fabric if you aren’t careful
- Lacks enough padding
Deuter Air Contact 65+10 Backpack
This bag is the most comfortable and well-built for longer hikes. The shoulder straps and waist belt are perfect for a heavyweight. It also has the best ventilation that keeps you cool and fresh in all weather conditions. In addition, the bag has a detachable rain cover that keeps your belongings dry.
Check this too: What Should a Vegetarian Eat When Backpacking
The bag has excellent features that make your hike enjoyable. It has suspension systems to give you stability. Also, they have flexible active fit straps that adapt to your body movement. It has a pull-forward hip belt to fasten easily when heavily loaded—zipped pockets for valuable items, maps, loops for ice and hiking poles, and more compartments. The bag is the best fit for multipurpose hiking in all weather conditions.
- Stuff- it pocket
- Side-mesh pockets
- Removable rain cover
- Detachable top lid
- 2 Ice ax and hiking pole attachments
- Hydration compatible
- It’s adjustable
- Its lightweight considering its design
- Has durable materials
- It’s a multipurpose season pack
- Has a rain cover
- Not ideal for women
- Not the best back breather
- It’s expensive
The best backpack depends on the kind of trip you are going on, the weather conditions, the time you will be away, and more factors. For you to choose the best pack, consider the factors explained above, and you will have the best choice.